WHAT IS ELECTROSURGERY? REASONS LEADING ELECTRICAL POWER IN YOUR HOUSE, HOW TO FIX AND HANDLING YOU NEED TO KNOW
What is Electrosurgery?
A electric short circuit is the phenomenon of contact between two electrical conductors in a circuit, resulting in a sudden increase in conductor resistance. This can cause sparks that have the potential to ignite fires and damage electrical equipment. Short circuits can occur in both single-phase and three-phase electrical systems. If the circuit is equipped with fuses or circuit breakers, they will automatically cut off the power supply to the area experiencing the short circuit.
Electrical fires are one of the significant hazards that pose a threat to human life and property, as they can lead to devastating fires. There have been numerous tragic accidents reported in the media, such as television and newspapers, resulting from electrical fires.
Causes of Electrical Fires
There are several causes that can lead to electrical short circuits and fires. Here, DAPHACO lists some of the possible causes:
Electrical circuit faults:
This is one of the common causes and has a high potential for electrical system explosions. When electrical phases come into contact with each other or when a live wire touches the ground, it reduces the resistance of the conductive wire. The sudden increase in current leads to the burning of the wire’s insulation, generating electrical sparks that can ignite electrical devices.
This cause often occurs in households where multiple high-powered electrical devices are used simultaneously. Using a large number of electrical appliances at the same time can overload the power supply and increase the risk of short circuits and fires.
This situation is more common during the summer when high-powered devices such as air conditioners and fans are frequently operated throughout the day and night.
It is important to note that electrical fires can have severe consequences for human life and property. Therefore, it is crucial to prioritize electrical safety measures and promptly address any electrical issues or potential hazards to minimize the risk of fire incidents.
Inadequate Electrical Connections
An open electrical connection in the electrical system can lead to the occurrence of electrical sparks and their propagation in the air, posing a fire hazard. This cause can occur with wires that have multiple connections, improper installation, resulting in discontinuous conductors.
Improper Use of Electricity
Using electrical devices with high heat generation, such as irons, hair dryers, electric stoves, etc., without careful control and placing them near electrical outlets can be a factor leading to electrical fires.
Inappropriate Socket or Plug Usage
Incompatible or loose-fitting socket or plug connections can also lead to electrical hazards and local electrical sparks.
How to Test and Prevent Electrical Short Circuits:
- During installation, choose wiring with an appropriate cross-sectional area for the current of the load. Avoid using multiple devices with a power rating that exceeds the load capacity of the wiring.
- Check the insulation sheath: A good insulation sheath should be soft, flexible, not change color when bent, and have a consistent cross-sectional area around the copper core.
- Inspect the conductor: A good conductor consists of untainted copper cores that are bright red and smooth, capable of being bent to a certain extent. Poor conductor material can be identified by the color of the copper material, which is yellowish-black and prone to breakage.
- Avoid placing heat-generating electrical devices such as irons, electric stoves, and hair dryers near flammable materials. Never use irons, electric stoves, or hair dryers without proper supervision or in close proximity to children’s reach.
- Above all, it is recommended to visit reputable dealers and stores and choose products from well-known brands like Lion electrical cables – a brand from DAPHACO Electric Cable Corporation, for greater peace of mind during long-term use.
Question: Should I attempt to handle an electrical short circuit at home on my own?
If an electrical short circuit occurs at home, you should immediately shut off the entire power supply in the house to prevent accidents and ensure everyone’s safety. If you lack experience and expertise, you should not attempt to handle the electrical short circuit on your own.
It is important to equip yourself with the necessary knowledge to handle possible situations that may arise in the event of an electrical short circuit and to know the appropriate troubleshooting and first aid procedures for any situation.
If necessary, call a professional electrician to assist with inspecting and resolving the electrical short circuit issue at home. Clearly communicate the situation, cause, and any relevant information to the electrician so that they can provide the fastest possible solution.